What if upon our transition into our teen years, we were supposed to learn really important teachings about our body, heart and soul? What if these teachings could dramatically change the way you feel about your self…your body…your heart?
Sign me up – right?! The trouble is these teachings have been lost, buried, waiting to be reborn into our lives and into the world. And so I hope to share some of the Sacred Feminine teachings I learned on my healing road, in hopes your soul remembers and your own self love grows.
In mind-body therapy, our behaviours and our struggles are really symbolic to our deeper issues and needs. So…let’s take world’s obsession with our weight, body hatred even body altering and let’s explore that for a second. Is it possible we are acting our our soul starvation on the physical level? Is it possible we are expressing how truly disconnected we are from our bodies as a nation by trying to become physically perfect and thin?
This was true for me…I was acting out a deep feeling and longing without having the words. I was showing how frail and weak I felt on the inside by becoming it on the outside. So let’s meet the issue at the root : we are emotionally and spiritually starving and we don’t know what to do with that.
I know as an emotional, intuitive, creative, feminine soul, I craved these teachings at the threshold of adolescence and perhaps if I had them, I would have discovered how to love myself sooner. I would have lived my life in union with my feminine, primal, wild, emotional soul instead of feeling like I had to separate from her. Perhaps, I would have saved myself from the battle wounds of an eating disorder because for me, it was merely an expression of my dying, starving soul. I didn’t know that then, I felt it, but I know it now. The healing journey brought me home, back to these teachings and practices and in presence of my own body, heart and soul.
So here are 8 Sacred Feminine Teachings that your feminine soul might still be craving and that that teen girl in you deserves to know:
- 1) You are a soul on a journey. You are a soul with a body and you’ve come here to learn, grow, expand and heal. That is your purpose, to evolve, to love, to enjoy this moment, to find your passions, enjoy food, movement, and your sensual body. It’s not to build up a pile of things or have the biggest this or that. It’s about love…connection and growth. Have fun, lighten up. Take life a little less seriously. Get creative, express yourself with words or art or pictures or music or by making something whether it is food, clothes, wood pieces, buttons, whatever…just feed your soul and create, create, create!
- 2) Your connection to your body is your life line in this world. She is the place of your soul, your emotions, your physical sensations and your gut instinct. She is your compass and guide in this lifetime, never separate from her. Honor your relationship to Her above all else as your connection to her will show up in every aspect and relationship in your life. She communicates what you feel, want, need and desire, your job is to listen to her and honor her as best you can. You will navigate yourself and your soul in the world only by knowing her and her emotions, sensations and symbolic images that she gives you to guide you on your life path. She will tell you what feels right and what does not. She will tell you if you like something or you don’t. She will tell you if this direction is right or wrong for your soul. Make friends with her, because she is the keeper of your destiny. How you feel about yourself is a reflection of your relationship to Her.
- 3) Feeding off of life lesson #2, learn your sacred body’s language so you can steer the ship of your life. Your body will guide you through emotions, through aches, pains, restlessness, irritations, anxiety, even depression. She will also express to you through radiant joy and peace. Explore your emotions and physical sensations as literal symbolic messengers. If you’re neck hurts or your throat, ask yourself is there something you are not saying or need to say? If you’re anxious or restless, your soul has something to tell you and is getting your attention to tune inward that something is off or she has a need. Your emotions are sacred communications from your soul…listen to them, don’t ignore them. Addictions are born when we don’t know how to be in our bodies and present to our precious emotions so we use something to distract away from what’s inside.
- 4) Stillness is a must! We live in a fast paced world where everybody is concerned with doing more…quicker, better, stronger, faster. I’m exhausted just thinking about it. I honor that accomplishments and goals are important but not in the name of betraying yourself and your body’s limits. We must find balance between doing and being or there is really not any success. If you must betray yourself and your body to succeed, you have not really succeeded. So get still…often…daily…reflect…journal…listen. ..feel. Notice what comes up like it were a message from an angel. Write about it, draw pictures, symbols, colors, doodles, whatever comes and express it. Release it out of you for there is a message and reason for your feelings. Honor them as sacred messengers from your soul. And most importantly…just breathe…in and out..in and out.
- 5) If you “feel fat” or start obsessing about your weight, that’s a sign that you’ve lost connection to your wild, feminine, tribal soul and that she is starving for your attention and for some nourishment. She desires connection to the Divine, the universe, the stars, the moon. So plug back in and feed your luscious spirit through creativity, writing, lighting a candle and getting still or dancing like a silly goose. Stare at the moon and remember our tribal, wild, primal ancestors who followed the moon cycle each month. Life is about your soul’s journey, about magic and the mystery, not the size of your thighs. So indulge in some fun rituals that re-ignite the magic and sacred in your life. (Check out www.womenshealingandspirituality.com for some ritual ideas)
- 6) Enjoy luscious food. Learn to cook! It’s an art, an expression, its’ soul food and life force energy on a plate. Think of all the farmers, grocers, animals, gardens, makers and bakers who conspired to bring this wonderful meal together. Your hands can unite all that human love and energy into a meal on a plate, what alchemy! Use whole foods when you can and indulge in luscious chocolates and homemade dessert creations alongside your wholesome, homemade, nourishing supper. Feed your taste buds, it’s part of feeling alive, part of the human experience. Watch Rachel Ray connect with her food, that is how we are meant to relate to our food like it were a being. Get passionate about food. Make those meals colorful and nourish yourself mind, body and soul!
- 7) Move your body. Here’s a secret…I hate gyms. They are soul sucking spaces that to me feed the ego with all those mirrors. So go old school and get outside to move. Pile some wood, cut the lawn with a push mower, take a run outside, walk down the road, pull weeds, play tag outside. Go to the park, ride your bike to school or work. Exercise should be about moving the energy and lymphatic fluid in your body…period. It should be fun and playful, not dreadful. I used to hate working out, I’d literally be swearing as ran, angry as ole’ pie. I was doing it for the wrong reasons, for calorie burning and weight loss. It felt like a chore, now it feels like a gift. I think of all the stagnant energy that wants to dance alive in my body. Today I move with no time goals or distances to reach or calories to burn, I just move to move. Make it about energy and play, not calories. Turn up the tunes and dance! Return to our primal, natural roots and move authentically, and naturally, not on a machine indoors.
- 8) Last but not least. Honor your menstrual cycle as something ancient, sacred and holy. The human nation has carried on for thousands and thousands of years because of our menstrual cycles. It connects us as women. Historically women used to gather and bleed together during their moon time. They’d bleed right onto the Earth and sit together in circle gathering emotional and spiritual wisdom found in their silence. With this guidance they’d lead and guide their tribes towards the animals for food or towards protection from surrounding tribes and clans. So, remember that your cycle generally follows the 28 moon cycle give or take a few days and that as women we have followed the moon’s cycle for thousands of years. It is common for us to ovulate or menstruate on the new moon or full moon. When menstruating, your body is naturally cleansing itself, releasing out old energy, emotions and physical debris from last month and moon cycle. So honor this amazing process and turn the energy dial down during this time. Make sure to get still and sit with yourself, your body and Grandmother Moon as you are most intuitive and emotional during this time…meaning your body and soul has much to say and guide you with. Create a moon time ritual with your friends or mom. Do something special like a meditative foot soak or where a special moon time robe and journal in your decorated moon time diary. Bake some luscious cookies and drink fine tea with your mom and sister and have a mini sharing circle. Honor your ancient, tribal roots by celebrating your sacred body and soul during this special time each month. It need not be elaborate but do something special.
Simply by regularly connecting to our bodies and her inner realm and making this a conscious practice, we naturally nourish our souls. And when our souls are nourished, we feel confident, fulfilled, full of life, joy and energy. We don’t need to try and express our pain or fill up our soul starvation through body bashing or dieting, because we are already nourished from the inside out. Your cravings for bingeing or alcohol or shopping will automatically disappear with this practice if you struggle with disordered eating symptoms or weight pre-occupation yourself. So I ask you to remember that your body is a Sacred Messenger of the your Divine Self. Please, please, please treat her with the reverence She deserves.
I honor you and your Sacred body…the Sacred Home of your unique soul!
Aho! And so it is.
I’d be so Honored if You FOLLOWED MY BLOG Check out https://womenshealingandspirituality.com/about/ for soul nourishing practices or for individual sessions on how to Nourish Your Soul.
Join the Women’s Tribe Facebook Page to stay posted on upcoming events and info as well.
Find me on Instagram @the_womenstribe