Ahhh….the approach of spring or the end of winter. It’s such a transitional time. I feel caught between the old and the new, the end and the beginning. Much like the weather, I’m sunny one day and rainy and blue the next. To be completely honest, this in between time is my least favorite time of year. In Manitoba, it’s messy, muddy, wet, dirty, and dreary. And it’s also sunny and refreshing and the hint of a new beginning around the corner creates both excitement and some anxiety.
As a shaman, I’ve been taught about the four directions of the Medicine Wheel. I like the Feminine based wheel (there are different teachings about the Wheel) where the south direction is the physical, the starting point, the place of the child, innocence and sweet trust. This is also my toughest direction, my least comfortable element…the Earth. I’m a dreamer, in the west, an emotional, watery, dream-world traveler, I spend a lot of time in the Spirit World and find the physical form at times…well…difficult. It’s dense and heavy and maneuvering my energy into a physical expression can be tough, even gut wrenching.
It’s a process. My safe place is the other world and yet I’m here to learn to be in this world, this Earthly world that is really the other side of the coin of the dream world. A place to heal and explore and work my shit out as a soul in physical form.
So here we are in the last week of winter and the last week of the astrological calendar. The Spring Equinox brings us back into Aries, the first sign of the zodiac and the beginning cycle of life once again. The Earth (on our side of the world) begins to wake up again from Her deep, wintery slumber. The grass emerges, the tulips and trees start to bud and remind us of the possibility of life and new beginnings all over again. It’s invigorating, inspiring even energizing as the Earth shows us how to re-awaken.
Beginnings are tough for me, I’m real great in the middle or end of projects, ideas, etc..but to get organized and get started and plan out my steps of something new is not my forte. I usually procrastinate and procrastinate and get stagnant until I jump right into it messy foot and figure things out once I’ve created a lot of chaos.
What if I changed this pattern? What if I didn’t treat the physical, the beginning, the starting point as my least favorite but instead my least developed. I need to put extra effort, attention, focus on the planning, on organization, on some linear steps to start with. This is literally using the other side of my brain. My least dominant side. I need to make a new friend with this element, this side of myself.
So I invite you to join me in enjoying the last week of winter, the end of a season while prepping for spring. Getting things in order…ORGANIZATION…is the theme. Order! I need order! This will help prep us for the spring action ahead. Get everything arranged and in order before we really start the new. That means clearing out space, getting rid of the old.
I pulled a tarot card for this last week and low and behold it is the the Spirit of the Earth Card. I’m committing to falling in love with this spirit, to really indulge and enjoy Her awakening at this time and changing my attitude to it, even in the mucky, cloudy weather. (note..the sun is out as I say this hehe).
So here’s 6 ideas to prep for spring while we move through this last week of the season.
- Organize, organize, organize. Bought myself some new file folders, storage bins, the works.
- Make “to do” lists (previously hated) and see them as loving organization tools to help. Each night, make a to do list for tomorrow. Each Sunday, make a weekly “to do” list.
- Start each day with a morning ritual to get into gear. Coffee, breakfast, reading of to do list, plan and time my day, get inspired (reading or video), then get shit done!
- Open windows and let the air move through your home, imagine it cleansing and prepping your space.
- Connect with the Earth Mother’s spirit daily. Feel the sun rays on your face, the rain drops on your nose, the crisp breeze on your cheeks, just let the end of winter touch you and call of spring sing to you. Here’s a little journey to take from the Native Spirit Oracle Cards from the Spirit of the Earth Card. (pg.94-95).
- “All solid forms around you, including your body, are part of the physical realm. Notice how you relate to and identify with the physical universe around you. By doing this you are activating the Spirit of Earth within you. Let the reality of your relationship with the earth fill your consciousness. Let yourself merge with its energy. Imagine how it would feel to be a rolling hill, a great mountain, or a deep canyon. Imagine yourself lying in a field of wild flowers high on a mountain. Visualize the roots of the trees extending deep into the soil, reaching down toward the center of the Earth.
6. I leave with with to ponder what you are letting go, and letting melt away with this last week of winter. What no longer serves you? Imagine the snow were to speak to you…what would it say? What part of you is reflected in the melting, vanishing snow? Journal your thoughts.
And so it is.
Happy transitional season time. Let’s enjoy the death, ending and new beginning.
Like always, if you feel called do feel free to FOLLOW THE BLOG, I’d be so honored. 🙂